The City of Pleasanton’s Award-Winning Teen Improv Troupe
WHAT IS CREATURES OF IMPULSE?
Creatures of Impulse is a teen improv troupe made up of youth ages 14-18. They perform all kinds of improv, but mainly focus on long-form, narrative improv (plays without a script).
COI takes an improv-as-theater approach to improv. This means they believe that anything that is done in traditional scripted performances can be done in improv. COI believes that great scene work and playing for real can lead to a fun and entertaining theatrical experience.
Creatures of Impulse | Teen Improv Troupe | Casting for the 2018-19 Season
Actors must be entering grades 9-12 for the 2018-19 school year.
- Tuesday 7/24 5-7 p.m. OR Tuesday 7/24 5-7 p.m.
- Call Backs | Thursday 8/2 | 5-7:30 p.m | invitation only
- Sign-up to audition for the 2017-18 COI season by clicking HERE.
- Commit the date and time you select to your personal calendars prior to submitting the form as you may not get a confirmation email.
- Please keep in mind that COI auditions can be highly competitive as we only look to cast 4-10 members each season (as needed) to not exceed 24 total members in the cast at large. We will often see 20-50 students at auditions each season.
- Being cast is not guaranteed.
- Once you select an audition date and time, it is mandatory that all actors attend the full time to be considered. Most audition sessions last 2 hours. If called back, you must also stay the full time of the call back session to be considered.
- If you are late to an audition session, you may not be considered.
- If you show up to an audition session and your name does not appear on the audition list, you will be asked to leave the audition session. You may check to see if your audition submission was received by emailing BOTH firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com.
What can I expect at a COI audition? You can expect to be taken through a series of improv warm-ups, scenes, and games. Come prepared to move and participate. The COI staff team looks for theatrical performers that can take direction, listen, make bold choices, and know how to make their fellow improvisers look good. COI doesn’t necessarily seek out comedians or class clowns, but performers ready to take risks, get outside their comfort zones, and share the stage with others.
When does Creatures of Impulse perform?
Creatures of Impulse performs five main stage shows per season at the Firehouse Arts Center. Here is their 2017-18 season (COI’s season typically runs September-August):
|October||“Ghost Stories” – Improvised teen long-form|
|November-December||“Holiday Shorts: A Long Winter’s Tale: – Holiday themed improv|
|February||“Improv Face-Off” – Teen Improv showdown with other teen improv teams|
|May||“Totally Tubular” – An Improvised 80s Teen Musical|
|July-August||“Tri-Valley High: The Series” – A weekly episodic improvised teen series|
In addition to their main stage shows at the Firehouse Arts Center, COI performs fundraising shows, school assemblies, community performances and more. These fundraising shows, assemblies, and community performances go to support COI’s touring program. In past years, the touring program has taken COI to the New York Musical Improv Festival in 2015 and to Chicago to represent the state of California at the Teen Comedy Festival in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013.
Can I be in Creatures of Impulse?
If you are ages 14-17 and are enrolled in 9th-12th grade (or are going to be), you are welcome to audition for Creatures of Impulse.
If cast in COI members are required to pay a seasonal registration fee in the Fall to cover administrative and production costs. Typically, fees run $75-$150 per season. Members are also required to pay a registration fee for the spring show which often has more program costs associated with the production. Registration fees for the Spring COI show may range from $90-$175 per member depending on production costs.
CAN COI PERFORM AT MY SCHOOL OR SPECIAL EVENT?
YES! Creatures of Impulse has been lucky enough to perform at private and community events for local non-profits, foundations, and schools. They can perform any improv show for any amount of time from twenty minutes to 90 minutes. We can also perform staff trainings, team-building modules, and workshops. Since COI is comprised of high school students, one to two-month lead times for private performances and trainings are appreciated.
COI requests $200-$550 contribution for private engagements depending on length and content. 100% of your payment is considered a donation to COI’s touring program, so it goes straight to supporting the youth in the program. Just call Mark Duncanson at the Firehouse Arts Center at 925-931-4828 to get started.
For more information on Creatures of Impulse, the City’s Teen Improv Program including Creatures of Impulse Teen Improv Camp, contact Mark Duncanson at 925-931-4828.
Click here for a detailed list of COI’s Touring Shows you can have at your school or recreation program.