Our literary arts program has been created to provide enthusiasts of the written word a listing of City sponsored literary events throughout the Tri-Valley.
THE CITY OF PLEASANTON IS SEEKING A LITERARY ARTS AMBASSADOR
Are you a creative Pleasanton resident who would like to enhance and encourage appreciation of literary arts in your community? If so, now is your chance to apply for the honorary post of City of Pleasanton’s Literary Arts Ambassador. This position is a two-year term with a mission to raise awareness of the importance of literature as it relates to lifelong literacy and education toward the development and enhancement of the lives of Pleasanton’s residents.
The Literary Arts Ambassador works closely with the Civic Arts division of the Library and Recreation Department. The Literary Arts Ambassador contributes to civic and public events and dedications with literary readings appropriate to the occasion. They may also hold literary workshops, readings, and/or events. Though the position is nonsalaried, there is a limited budget to cover expenses, and Civic Arts staff administrative support is provided. The term begins October 2019 and concludes in September 2021. Applications will be accepted through September 3, 2019 and the candidate will be announced and introduced at the October 7th Joint Civic Arts and Library Commission meeting.
To Qualify You Must:
- Be a Pleasanton Resident 18 years or older
- Be a writer or illustrator
- Be a leader with experience in promoting literature
- Possess excellent communication skills
- Possess a dynamic, engaging personality
To Apply, You must submit the following, in hard copy:
- Four original writings
- A one-page letter of interest which includes a brief outline of your vision for possible projects or activities during your tenure
- A letter of support from two writers
- A resume indicating active participation in promoting the literary arts in our community
Applications will be accepted through September 3, 2019
Selected finalists will be invited to present their writings and vision personally to a Selection Committee which makes a recommendation to the Civic Arts Commission. A successful candidate will be appointed by the Pleasanton City Council. Mail your application packet to:
Tamara Whitney, Recreation Manager for Civic Arts, City of Pleasanton P.O. Box 520, Pleasanton, CA 94566 or Hand Deliver to Pleasanton Library 400 Old Bernal. For more information, contact Tamara Whitney at email@example.com.
PLEASANTON POETRY GROUPS
New! PINTS & POETRY @ McKay’s Taphouse and Beer Garden
- When: 3rd Thursday of the Month, 7-9pm, starting May 17th
- Where: McKay’s Taphouse and Beer Garden, 252 Main St, second floor
- Host: Dave Douglas
- 21 and over
OPEN MIC NIGHT With My Friends @ The Pleasanton Library
Raise your voices in Poetry, Prose, and Song. Share your latest work with a supportive audience or come to listen.
- When: 2nd Monday of the Month, 6-8pm
- Where: Pleasanton Library, Large Meeting Room
- Want to Read: sign up for your five minute time slot between 5:45-6pm
- Free and Open to Public
- All Levels Welcome!
- Note: Some material may not be suitable for ages under 16
For more information, visit Pleasanton Library Adult Program Calendar
Have a poetry related meeting/group/event you would like added to this list? Contact Tamara Whitney, Recreation Manager/ Civic Arts & Special Events for the City of Pleasanton: firstname.lastname@example.org